From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: libpng16 won't be able to show some broken icons libpng15 was still able to
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:19:11
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > I appericiate the work done by Tobias utmost too but I have to agree
5 > > this is not something I want to see running automatically, or even
6 > > from within ebuilds.
7 >
8 > +1
9 >
10 > In Tobias's list, I count some 80 packages that need fixing. That's
11 > way too few to merit a general solution. Also this number will
12 > decrease when files are fixed upstream.
13
14 I see two problems with this approach:
15
16 - What do we do with unresponsive-yet-not-dead upstreams?
17 - What about future packages that ship broken files? I mean not
18 just existing packages that keep issuing broken PNGs but also
19 future packages that we just didn't cover now?
20
21 The former has two and a half solutions:
22
23 - Wait until itmagically fixes itself or upstream comes around.
24 This is only 1/2 a solution, IMO.
25
26 - Add a separate tarball or the like that the Gentoo maintainer
27 generates from the broken PNGs. Use this tarball to overwrite
28 the broken results of equivalent_of("make install").
29
30 - Have a convenience function that can be used for known-bad
31 packages to fix broken IDATs. Basically calling my script or
32 the binary Samuli mentioned.
33
34 The second problem, however, is trickier. We can rely on people
35 noticing the error messages/broken packages and hope they file
36 bugs. The other option is to have a QA-like check for it, again
37 using the simplest possible binary to do so.
38
39 Regards,
40 Tobias