From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: split up media-sound/ category
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:50:17
1 On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 21:47, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Package names themselves can be thusly arbitrary , and could be a SHA
3 > sum or something obscure, as long as all internals and dependencies
4 > used the same arbitrary name, things would work as intended.
5 >
6 I mentioned this idea of internally referencing packages by a hash in
7 the other thread. As long as we're clear that the most common
8 operation (emerge -av ${PN}) is still exposed to the user, it's
9 perfectly valid. I want to be very sure we're clear in our
10 understanding that tags are for discovery in cases where the user is
11 not sure what is available (like categories).
12
13 As for the latter part, the size of a git repo becoming umanageable
14 over time had not occurred to me, I'm afraid-- would it work to use
15 shallow clones? Otherwise, the herd-wise division is probably
16 acceptable. Need to think about that one more.
17
18 Regards,
19 Wyatt