From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone use wolk-sources?
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:44:37
1 On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 12:04 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > > I was actually just thinking about WOLK today and how I never got around
4 > > to putting the newest builds in the tree. For now keep them in there.
5 > > I'll email upstream to see if whats the status on development for WOLK
6 > > these days. The mailing lists have been quiet for the most part, so
7 > > we'll see. It may be based on 2.4.20 but its no where near to what
8 > > 2.4.20 is ;). Its closer to a 2.6 kernel by now with its latest
9 > > versions.
10 >
11 > 2.4.20 came out in 2002. You'd have thought they might base it off something
12 > newer by now...
13
14 I'm not sure why he did it that way. I know he essentially patched in
15 the later versions (crazy I know).
16
17 > > Infra currently decommissioned to the two boxes we were running WOLK on,
18 > > so we don't currently have a need for it from that side of things.
19 > >
20 > > I'll report back when I find out whats going on!
21 >
22 > Ok. The main issue is that keeping old kernels around is a maintenance
23 > nightmare with the security patches, etc. Also, this kernel is so heavily
24 > patched that it would be impossible for us to support it. On top of that,
25 > there doesn't seem to be any demand for it - we have only ever had a few bug
26 > reports for it, and we've never recieved a bump request for the latest version
27 > which is months behind the last official release.
28 >
29 > I'll at least be cleaning out the two older versions (4.9-r21 and 4.11-r17)
30 > over the next few days.
31
32 Yeah, I agree sadly. Since I haven't seen much activity on their devel
33 lists I'd have to say things have pretty much stopped. Give me a few
34 days to see if we get a response from the upstream author as to the
35 status of the project before we totally axe it.
38 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
39 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
40
41 ---
42 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
43 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
44
45 ramereth/irc.freenode.net