From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removal of articles.xml from website
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 03:25:51
1 maillog: 09/06/2005-20:14:33(-0700): Duncan types
2 .. snip ..
3 > ....
4 >
5 > That said, there remains the practical issue of keeping links updated. I
6 > see a couple possibilities.
7 >
8 > One, there's the idea others floated -- note on the page the problem of
9 > keeping links updated as to why links aren't provided, and suggest
10 > searching on the titles listed, possibly with IBM DeveloperWorks listed
11 > specifically, or otherwise with publisher or original source acknowledged,
12 > to ease the search.
13 >
14 > Two, keep the links, but again, specifically acknowledge some of them move
15 > from time to time, list them as last verified links, and display a
16 > feedback mechanism (email, or web form based to prevent email harvesting,
17 > or whatever) prominently asking for reader link update submissions. If a
18 > reader says a link doesn't work and it's verified, with no new link
19 > immediately available, simply note that it has been verified dead and ask
20 > for updates. The idea here is to leave the links as well as acknowledging
21 > they may be outdated, but leave the work of providing updates to the
22 > readers.
23
24 Three, keep a local copy of the articles unless you're forbidden to.
25
26 Four, provide a link to a cached copy, e.g.,
27 http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs.html
30 \ Georgi Georgiev \ I hate mankind, for I think myself one of \
31 / chutz@×××.net / the best of them, and I know how bad I am. - /
32 \ +81(90)2877-8845 \ - Samuel Johnson \