From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www Being Retired
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:30:23
1 Hi Doug,
2
3 On Wednesday 15 September 2004 21:48, Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 > I'm actually the maintainer of a couple of Apache modules (currently not
5 > included in Portage but shortly I'll look to include them when I
6 > stablize them a bit more) that I have the codebase support both Apache 1
7 > and Apache 2 through a mess of #DEFINE and ./configure but I did that to
8 > make it easier for users.
9
10 Please make sure you add yourself to the apache herd when you commit these
11 modules, and that you list yourself as primary maintainer in the
12 metadata.xml.
13
14 > With this scheme the package would have to
15 > appear in two catagories under the same name and it would conflict with
16 > the other one and provide an ugly mess.
17
18 Yes, the package would have to appear in two categories. The common parts of
19 the ebuild can be moved into an eclass. I'm not sure what conflict you think
20 will arise. All mods that support both apache1 and apache2 should install
21 into SLOT=1 for apache1 and SLOT=2 for apache2.
22
23 > Heck.... every package... like
24 > emerge mod_perl wouldn't even work.. it'd give you an ugly message
25 > saying which one? www-apache1/mod-perl or www-apache2/mod-perl... Not
26 > ideal in my book. There's got to be a better way about this.
27
28 You'd only get that message if you typed 'emerge mod_perl'. If you typed
29 'emerge www-apache1/mod_perl', then you wouldn't get the message.
30
31 As I say, I'm open to suggestions.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Stu
35 --
36 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
37 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
38 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
39
40 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
41 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C