From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 19:10:20
1 On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 06:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
4 > > On 2020-08-08 20:51, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > What do people think?
6 > >
7 > > Like others already asked: What's the reason for this?
8 >
9 > Like others have said on the thread, the reason for the switch away
10 > from udev in the past was mostly fear driven instead of fact driven. As
11 > already said, if the udev developers were going to make udev unusable
12 > without systemd they would have by now.
13 >
14 > > What do you expect from this change?
15 >
16 > I expect Gentoo to use, by default, what most of the Linux community
17 > uses for device management.
20 "I expect Gentoo to use, by default, what most of the Linux community uses
21 for init management." So we should make the systemd profile the default? :)
25 > > Is there a problem when new Gentoo installations will use EUDEV by
26 > > default? Or is there a benefit if new installations would use
27 > sys-fs/udev?
28 >
29 > Please look back at the history of why we switched away from udev. It
30 > was not technical. Udev did not cause any wide scale distro breakages.
31 > It was because some folks were very loud about a possible systemd
32 > consppiracy around making udev not work without systemd.
35 You asked me on IRC "how do I convince people" and part of that is to make
36 it easy to agree with your argument! Asking me to read a bunch of crap
37 isn't going to make me want to agree; its going to make me say "your
38 argument is poorly formed, please go away."
39
40 - Link to the things you want me to read.
41 - Summarize them so I don't have to read a 100 message long thread from 5
42 years ago.
43 - Make an argument!
44
45 ---
46 "I think we picked eudev as the default because of a concern that udev
47 would eventually require systemd for operation, you can see this from these
48 mailing list posts: X, Y, Z."
49 "The above concern has not manifested itself and I believe udev will
50 continue to not strictly require systemd init for various reasons (mention
51 list of cases here."
52 "Therefore I think we should change the default udev provider from eudev to
53 udev in the default profiles."
54 ---
55
56 This would be what I believe is a understandable argument (provided we had
57 the links to the previous material.) I'm not saying I agree[0] with it; but
58 I'd at least understand why you want the change to happen.
61 > Notice again that I'm not saying we need to lastrites eudev. There are
62 > cases that have developed for it (mainly non-glibc systems), but I am
63 > saying I see no justification at this point for it being the default
64 > distro wide.
65
66 William
69 [0] I expect that most users who want udev actually also want systemd and
70 so will simply select the systemd profile itself, and that this choice is
71 immaterial to most users; so I am for keeping the status quo here.