From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eshowkw
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:38:58
1 On 10/26/10 20:24, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Krzysztof Pawlik schrieb am 26.10.2010 18:34:
3 >> On 10/26/10 17:39, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
4 >>> Hello guys,
5 >>> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
6 >>> and enhance its functionality.
7 >>
8 >> I did the same some time ago, check it:
9 >> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=blob;f=scripts/eshowkw.py.
12 > Why didn't you you introduce this to the community like Tomáš did? That
13 > would have saved some time and both of you and everyone interested could
14 > have worked on it. It is a perfect addition to gentoolkit-dev.
15
16 Good question, it was written quite a while ago, I had plans to add some nice
17 features and announce it to wider audience. Then 'Real Life (TM)' came into play
18 and... it ended up the way it is currently. The only three 'features' that I
19 managed to pack into it so far are: more usage of colors/bold fonts, slot
20 display and acceptable performance.
21
22 nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time eshowkw gcc > /dev/null
23
24 real 0m0.965s
25 user 0m0.900s
26 sys 0m0.060s
27 nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw gcc > /dev/null
28
29 real 0m2.559s
30 user 0m0.544s
31 sys 0m0.416s
32 nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time eshowkw wine > /dev/null
33
34 real 0m0.980s
35 user 0m0.876s
36 sys 0m0.096s
37 nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw wine > /dev/null
38
39 real 0m6.873s
40 user 0m1.732s
41 sys 0m0.896s
42
43 > I wonder how many cool tools float around in the dev-spaces none is
44 > aware of. I remember a thread here which tried to collect those and
45 > place them somewhere public. Instead doing so why not adding them to
46 > gentoolkit[-dev]. I guess most of them try to make Gentoo [development]
47 > work easier.
48
49 I think that there's a lot of tools around for various reasons. Some folks don;t
50 publish them just because, others disagree with "current versions" (that was my
51 motive for writing my version of eshowkw). For example check this (extremely
52 simple) wrapper around echangelog+repoman: http://dev.gentoo.org/~nelchael/ecommit
53
54 One way of improving this situation: make gentoolkit svn repository more
55 visible, basically improve documentation/knowledge about what to do with useful
56 tools.
59 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
60 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...