From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:33:17
1 Ok, even though this particular clause does not say anything about
2 additional restrictions, but rather talks about "source code
3 _distributed_". Nevertheless,
4
5 "need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either
6 source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and
7 so on)"
8
9 This partuclar part seems promising. Can't we treat XFree as a major
10 system component? I think that most of the packages in GRP set are built
11 with X in USE and XFree86 itself is distributed on the 2 Set CD by
12 default. I think it would be reasonable to treat graphical envirnment a
13 major componet.
14
15 When someone mentions Win 98 fo example, they don't tal about underlying
16 DOS separatly. The Unix world for some reason keeps on thinking that
17 graphical libs are not essential part, probably, just cause, one can
18 install a system without them. Sorry, for the analogy from "offtopic"
19 part, it's just the best one, which come to my mind.
20
21 P.S. I know that I might be repeating something that was already said on
22 the thread, in this case plz excuse.
23