From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Where are the x86/i686 2006.0 packages?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:25:12
1 Nick Rout wrote:
2 > Thanks, so does the installer do a kind of quickpkg on the live system
3 > followed by emerge --usepkg inside the chroot?
4
5 The installer does a few "dirty" things to emulate portage like copying the
6 files for a particular package into the proper image dir in the chroot,
7 executing `ebuild` a few times with the proper arguments, and then merging the
8 files from the image dir into the "live" filesystem (the chroot directory).
9
10 > This is unfortunate because I have found the installer a little flaky.
11 > I'd prefer to do an install manually then be able to do emerge --usepkg
12 > against a directory full of packages.
13
14 Please file bugs (Gentoo Release Media -> Installer) for any of the problems
15 you've found with the installer. I can only fix them if someone tells me about them.
16
17 > Is there some way I can get the functionality you speak of? Is there
18 > somewhere in CVS I can look at?
19
20 You can fetch the latest CVS snapshot from my devspace.
21 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/gli/ always has a link to the latest. Unpack the
22 snapshot, change to the src/ directory, and run './GLIPortage.py'. That's the
23 module that does most of the portage voodoo. I've added some code at the end to
24 allow it to run standalone to perform steps like creating the dynamic stage3 and
25 copying a particular package into a chroot. If you have more questions about it,
26 feel free to drop by #gentoo-installer.
29 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
30 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list