From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] logging in openntpd 20080406-r3+
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 05:14:14
1 On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:14:30AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > You know, usually it's enough to ping upstream. AFAIR there was
4 > a similar problem in irqbalance, and they have added plain
5 > '--foreground' for us.
6
7 I don't know there really is an upstream for portable openntpd right
8 now, there's been forward development in the openbsd tree, but the last
9 official release of the portable version was in 2006 8-/. Unless you
10 consider debian upstream as far as their patches on top of vanilla
11 portable.
12
13 I'm not sure what all's changed in the openbsd version, but I guess no
14 one's really cared enough to work on making it portable. The last status
15 I see is from 2008:
16
17 http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=122731899504602
18
19 where someone said it would be "nontrivial".
20
21 I think adding a pid option would be better than adding a foreground
22 option, at least for openrc purposes; although a foreground option that
23 wasn't debugging mode and still logged to syslog would be better than
24 the current gentoo state.