From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: IUSE="minimal" seems like a bad idea
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:51:47
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted on Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:34:10 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:44:05 -0500
4 > Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
5 >> mattst88@Sempron /usr/portage $ egrep -l 'IUSE=.*minimal' `find -name
6 >> '*.ebuild'`
7 >>
8 >> ^ shows lots of ebuilds with IUSE="minimal". Instead of having a
9 >> minimal use flag for these packages, shouldn't we have, possibly local,
10 >> use flags for whatever feature(s) the minimal flag turns off?
11 >
12 > For vim, which is where I believe the minimal flag originated, you'd
13 > have to have twenty or thirty individual flags for the vim features in
14 > question, and many of them are interdependent.
15
16 The suggestion as I read it is to have, for instance, a "vim-minimal" flag
17 (IOW, one per package), the idea being to prevent someone from sticking
18 minimal in their global USE flags and having all sorts of stuff "break" as
19 a result.
20
21 So each package would still have its single flag, but they'd be different
22 for each package, to prevent "accidents" like the above.
23
24 Then again, this arguably belongs in the "you get to keep the pieces"
25 category...
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman