From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Excessive rsync time after git migration
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 19:29:53
1 This might already be covered in one of the other e-mail threads, but I've been
2 super-busy as of late and just recently ran 'emerge --sync' on my main dev box
3 for the first time after the git migration. I just synced my main dev box
4 again, ~10 hours after the last sync, but it looks like the 'Manifest' files
5 for *every* package in the tree are getting downloaded with each sync.
6
7 I compared two Manifest files from a given package that shouldn't have changed
8 in the last 10 hours (sys-kernel/mips-sources), and there is nothing different
9 timestamp wise or content wise between then. So I'm not sure what's causing
10 'emerge --sync' to re-fetch the whole file.
11
12 Has anyone else noticed this and/or have a workaround? It's causing some
13 excessive disk thrashing, and what used to be a few seconds to sync is now
14 taking 5-10mins or more (depending on which machine I'm syncing).
17 Joshua Kinard
18 Gentoo/MIPS
19 kumba@g.o
20 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
21 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
22
23 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
24 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
25
26 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic