From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting static-libs
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:11:40
1 On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 02:15:40 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Is there a reason not to support static-libs in an ebuild if the
5 > package supports it?
6 >
7 > It seems some developers don't care about this option. What's the
8 > gentoo policy on this? Isn't this actually a bug?
9
10 Some people believe that IUSE=static-libs should be always used,
11 I think, and they consider that to be a Gentoo policy.
12
13 I believe that this is pointless to add it to every single library
14 noone will ever use as static. I do add them when it's simple (i.e.
15 with autotools-utils) and I know the package is supposed to work when
16 linked statically. Otherwise, I'd just wait for someone to request
17 static-libs support, much like we don't keyword ahead.
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny