From: Jochen Maes <gentoo-dev@××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Delay in approval of new developers
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:18:27
1 Peter wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:25:26 +1000, Andrew Ross wrote:
3 >
4 > snip...
5 >
6 >>> That's a laugh! Problem is that no devs seem to get approved in a timely
7 >>> fashion.
8 >>>
9 >> As a recently recruited developer, I'd just like to say that I was very
10 >> happy with the approval time of my recruitment bug (#139633), which was
11 >> filed on 2006-07-07 and resolved on 2006-08-08.
12 >>
13 >> I understand that not all recruitments occur as quickly as mine,
16 > you are the exception.
17 >
18 first of all, i may not be a recruiter anymore nor even a gentoo dev,
19 but find it appalling that again this issue arises.
22 >> If recruiters are taking that long, but it's due primarily to a lack of
23 >> manpower,
26 > or poor organization.
29 there is a good organisation, but the problem lies in that there aren't
30 many recruiters and that they are burned out very quickely.
31 The 2 quizzes needed must be sent in one by one, approved by a recruiter
32 and then a small interview is needed (for each quiz) concerning the quiz.
33 When i did my recruitements the first quiz always took between a half
34 hour till and hour and a half.
35 The second at least an hour. (read, check, ask questions).
36 Then you need to add the person to the system, which takes a few
37 commands on different systems.
38 Overall recruiting 1 person takes about 2-3 hours at least.
39 None of the recruiters and solemnly recruiters, they all work on other
40 things for gentoo also.
41 This takes time and you can't say to someone hey i'll check you half,
42 tomorrow half again and then day after i'll do the addition itself.
43
44 The time it takes is providing you are online at the same time, and that
45 the persons connect their recruiters after the mentor approved the quiz.
46 I've had lots of recruitements where they send in the first quiz, but i
47 had to wait a month or 2 for the second. In these 2 months you are busy
48 tracking the person, trying to contact him etc.
49
50 recruitement of 1 person takes a lot of time if you want to do it
51 correctly. The way the organisation works is as good as we can do it.
52 >> Not all developers are cut out to be recruiters, and I'm sure some of
53 >> those who have what it takes would rather work on something else :-)
54 >> Much like infrastructure, my impression is that being a recruiter isn't
55 >> exactly a glamorous role. On top of that, the actions a recruiter must
56 >> perform for each recruitment aren't exactly 5 minute jobs:
60 > months of silence in the many cases unlike yours are rude and inexcusable.
61 >
62 same for the people asking to be recruited, we see that all the time.
63 and it's easy to complain and nag, but is there any constructive
64 critisism here?
65 >
66 >> Cheers
67 >>
68 >> Andrew
71 > glad you were an exception.
74 glad i never knew you when i was a gentoo dev... I know one thing, you
75 won't ever get a hump out of me!
76 --
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list