From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:07:25
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:26 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:17 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
3 > > Quoting Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>:
4 > > > I can only think of a couple of solution:
5 > > >
6 > > > - Remove these unnecessary checks completely: Follow the example of all
7 > > > other distributions and do not depend on anything kernel-ish for such
8 > > > packages. A recompilation of the kernel with different options can
9 > > > easily cause what the checks are trying to avoid anyway.
10 > > >
11 > > > - Make the checks in linux-info non-fatal. I.e., don't die but issue
12 > > > warnings instead. That's the *least* that I'd be happy with.
13 > > >
14 > > > What do you people think the proper solution is?
15 > >
16 > > In my opinion, the way it is currently done (require those options which are
17 > > required for the package to function correctly) is the right way to do it.
18 > >
19 > > Just because other distributions do it differently doesn't justify us changing.
20 > > I've seen and recieved various reports of positive feedback about the way we
21 > > handle this.
22 > >
23 > > The only real argument is that it makes it difficult for people who cross
24 > > compile packages for use on other systems only, in which case it might make
25 > > sense for the possibility to override the behaviour.
26 >
27 > Cross-compiling, embedded systems, and release-building all suffer from
28 > this.
31 I cannot remember .. does release-building (iow catalyst) set ROOT ? If
32 so, maybe just make it error if root is not set, as most if not all
33 cross compiling of such things (not talking toolchain) is done with ROOT
34 set as far I know.
38 Martin Schlemmer