From: Mickey Mullin <wolf@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Matthew Kennedy <mbkennedy@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:29:55
1 GNU/Linux is the proper, correct form for refering to the operating system we
2 all know and love. However, it's more difficult to say, 44% longer to type, and
3 much less cuddly. (Okay, that last part is pure opinion.)
4
5 I rarely call LA, California, "Los Angeles," let alone "El Pueblo de Nuestra
6 Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula" (its real, full name),
7 nor do you see that on I-5 going into LA.
8
9 There's the "real" name, then there's what people call it.
10
11 "Linux," today, really means "GNU/Linux." I know no one who runs a Linux kernel
12 with MS Visual C++ to compile software.
13
14 I don't mean to offend, but my opinion is that this sort of energy is better
15 spent on the very worthy causes at eff.org, rather than prolonging
16 quasi-political discussions to a development mailing list. (Or maybe at
17 alt.fsf.vs.oss - which doesn't exist but probably should. ;)
18
19 Mickey
20