From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Handling of test USE flag in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 04:08:01
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:42:02 +0200
Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:

> Controling the test USE flag alone without the test FEATURE is useless, since it wont run the > src_test phase.
...then don't do that? :P
> And being able to disable the test USE flag with FEATURES=test will result in > missing deps or build-system args.
Add something like this to the beginning of the default src_test: hasq test $USE || return 0 I'm sure there's a reason it won't work I'm not thinking of, but that's the jist of the idea.
> Can you tell me any reason, why you want to expose and control > the test USE flag independently of FEATURES=test?
So it can be controlled on a per-package basis? Circular dependencies, unwanted dependencies, excessive testsuites, perpetually failing testsuites that no one bothers to fix... You can mask the flag but it's inconsistant and unintuitive. FWIW I currently have 22 packages that have the test flag masked in package.use.mask, and probably a dozen more I just haven't gotten around to masking. In any case, this is straying off topic. I believe the current policy is this: if your package's test suite requires extra dependencies, add a test USE flag and make them conditional on that. I don't think there's any reason it should change. -- fonts, gcc-porting, we hold our breath, we spin around the world toolchain, wxwidgets you and me cling to the outside of the earth @ EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662