From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Handling of test USE flag in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 04:08:01
1 On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:42:02 +0200
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Controling the test USE flag alone without the test FEATURE is useless, since it wont run the
5 > src_test phase.
6
7 ...then don't do that? :P
8
9 > And being able to disable the test USE flag with FEATURES=test will result in
10 > missing deps or build-system args.
11
12 Add something like this to the beginning of the default src_test:
13
14 hasq test $USE || return 0
15
16 I'm sure there's a reason it won't work I'm not thinking of, but that's
17 the jist of the idea.
18
19 > Can you tell me any reason, why you want to expose and control
20 > the test USE flag independently of FEATURES=test?
21
22 So it can be controlled on a per-package basis? Circular dependencies,
23 unwanted dependencies, excessive testsuites, perpetually failing testsuites
24 that no one bothers to fix... You can mask the flag but it's inconsistant
25 and unintuitive. FWIW I currently have 22 packages that have the test flag
26 masked in package.use.mask, and probably a dozen more I just haven't gotten
27 around to masking.
28
29 In any case, this is straying off topic. I believe the current policy is
30 this: if your package's test suite requires extra dependencies, add a test
31 USE flag and make them conditional on that. I don't think there's any reason
32 it should change.
36 fonts, gcc-porting, we hold our breath, we spin around the world
37 toolchain, wxwidgets you and me cling to the outside of the earth
38 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662