From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: freedesktop-bugs@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New eclass: xdg-basedir
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:46:13
1 On 01/31/2014 04:32 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 01/30/2014 02:37 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >>> Here's a simple eclass that pretty much just extracts the XDG stuff from
5 >>> the gnome2_environment_reset function.
6 >>>
7 >>> One difference: it creates 3 of the 4 directories under ${HOME} instead
8 >>> of ${T}, just to mimic the default behavior in the XDG basedir spec a
9 >>> bit more closely.
10 >>>
11 >>> Please give a look.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Hi,
15 >>
16 >> Thanks for working on this.
17 >>
18 >> Two thoughts:
19 >>
20 >> 1. Would it be worth consolidating this, fdo-mime.eclass, and some other
21 >> gnome2-utils stuff (eg. gnome2_icon_cache_update) into a larger
22 >> freedesktop eclass?
25 > That sounds like a reasonable idea to me, but I'm not sure I'm the
26 > right person to make that call. I don't maintain many desktop
27 > packages.
28 >
29 > If some others chime in saying this would be desirable, I could
30 > certainly work on that. Ideally, I would like the freedesktop
31 > maintainers to agree on any/all functions that should be moved to the
32 > new eclass.
33
34 Speaking as part of KDE team which is part of freedesktop, I would
35 specifically like to see:
36
37 * xdg-basedir-setup
38 * fdo-mime_desktop_database_update
39 * fdo-mime_mime_database_update
40 * gnome2_icon_savelist
41 * gnome2_icon_cache_update
42
43 I understand the GNOME team had some ideas too (I saw a mail but it
44 didn't end up on the list here), so hopefully they will chime in as well.