From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Timothee Besset <ttimo@××××××××××.com>
Cc: megastep@××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o, games@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o, jcarmack@××××××××××.com, locki@××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Enemy Territory and Gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:15:13
1 On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 08:44, Timothee Besset wrote:
2 > Sigh. Let's go over this a third time. --keep is intended to be used when
3 > it's a matter of fixing up things, not for the everyday user to go with.
4 > The ebuilds should put the .run on the HD, and put a wrapper script called
5 > 'et', which will then spawn the .run the first time it's being called so
6 > the the UI is displayed and the interactive setup executes (including the
7 > EULA prompt).
8
9 Thanks, anyway. As I have said before, if we do not have control of
10 exactly where the files go, then there is ZERO point in having an ebuild
11 at all, since portage will be unable to track the files. If our package
12 manager cannot track the files, why bother having a "package" at all?
13
14 The .run files do end up on the user's drive, in
15 /usr/portage/distfiles. What I am attempting to do is to perform the
16 same functions as the scripts within the Makeself archive. I am running
17 into problems because ONLY the gtk version of the installer does not
18 segfault. The command-line portion of loki_setup will suit my needs
19 *perfectly*, but since it segfaults, it is no use to me.
20
21 It basically boils down to this: if the user can choose where to install
22 the package (versus us telling it where), then it is useless for us to
23 try to create an ebuild for it.
24
25 > I will update the packages once again to fix that head thing when I find
26 > the time. It might take a week or two. With a wrapper script you can go
27 > around this when you spawn the .run anyway, either by faking a different
28 > head binary, or maybe with the right env vars:
29 >
30 > "For example, if you are running older software that assumes an older
31 > version of POSIX and uses `sort +1', `head -1', or `tail +1', you can work
32 > around the compatibility problems by setting `_POSIX2_VERSION=199209' in
33 > your environment." (I did not verify that this is working, taken from the
34 > docs)
35 >
36 > If that's not good enough, then just remove the files from ebuild.
37
38 It appears that the only course of action we have left to remain good
39 members of the community is to remove all id games from portage. If
40 there is someone else I should talk to about this, let me know so I can
41 contact them. We appear to be at an impass since neither of us appears
42 to be getting through to the other.
43
44 > In the long run I'd like to have loki_setup use data files like win32 does
45 > .msi files, that is having the installer engine compiled on the target
46 > machine, and processing a data-only thing. That would probably keep us
47 > safer from those endless ABI and app compability issues. I don't see when
48 > I would have time to do that though.
49
50 This would be quite cool, but would not solve any of the issues that are
51 at hand.
52
53 If there were a way to "force" the gtk installer to install the binaries
54 and installations into certain directories, via the -b and -i options
55 which are available to the command-line version, then there would be no
56 issue here. I could use the loki_setup installer, have it display the
57 EULA, and install where *I* tell it to via the ebuild.
58
59 To be honest, I simply don't see how if I were to change the ebuild to
60 display the EULA and force the user to accept before continuing does not
61 meet the licensing requirements. Since I have repeated this and gotten
62 no real response on it specifically other than you repeating about a
63 wrapper, I am assuming that this is not acceptable to meet the license.
64
65 I thank you for your time and for your great work in keeping gaming
66 alive on Linux.
67
68 Good day.
69