From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag "neon" for ARM NEON optimization(s)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:45:37
1 Matt Turner posted on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:09:30 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > to avoid confusion I'd suggest arch-neon or arm-neon (or armneon/
4 >> archneon) if it's to be a global flag.
5
6 > NEON (the SIMD extensions) are turned on by the neon flag much more
7 > often than support for net-libs/neon is. Let's not rename USE flags like
8 > this.
9
10 I'd argue that the library is far more frequently used, given that it's
11 used across archs and arm is (for the time being, that seems to be
12 gradually changing) still a rather obscure arch (for end-user installed
13 distros, anyway), so the neon library is likely the most frequently used.
14
15 However you are probably correct about the USE flag, as the library usage
16 seems to be required in many cases and thus not USE-flaggable.
17
18 So I'd still argue that to prevent confusion... but it's not something I
19 feel strongly about, so given no one else objecting, use=neon for the simd
20 extensions works as a global USE flag, and if it's ever used for the net-
21 lib, that one can change I guess.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman