From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:02:37
1 My mail relay died so I haven't been able to reply but here are my basic
2 thoughts of the database layouts. db,table and fields only, at this stage.
3 DB name gentoo # We may find uses for other gentoo related tables later.
4 Table portage
5 Field Name Type Length
6 PortageGroup text 20 # [media-tv]
7 PortagePackage text 30 # [xawtv]
8 PortageInstalledVersion text 20 #Current installed version. [3.86-r1]
9 PortageStableVersion text 20 #Newest unmasked version (x86)
10 PortageTestingVersion text 20 #Newest testing version (~x86)
11 PortagePackageHomepage text 40
12 PortagePackageDescription text 160
13
14 Some ideas for commands
15
16 portsearch -lg <PortageGroup> # If portage group is specified list all
17 # packages in that group else list everything.
18 # Allow partial matches.
19 portsearch -lp <PortagePackage> # Return all packages which do a partial
20 # match. basically the same as
21 # emerge -s
22 portsearch -ld <phrase> # return all matchs in description. emerge -S
23
24 These are just the basic ones, there are more but I think you get the general
25 idea. I'm not sure if the dependancies should be in there as well as a list
26 of files belong to the package.
27 If we put package dependancies in it package it would make it easy to remove
28 packages with all their dependants, which as far as I am aware, isn't handled
29 by portage yet.
30
31 tony
32 --