From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:02:37
My mail relay died so I haven't been able to reply but here are my basic
thoughts of the database layouts.  db,table and fields only, at this stage.
DB name gentoo # We may find uses for other gentoo related tables later.
Table portage
Field Name				Type	Length
PortageGroup				text		20		# [media-tv]
PortagePackage			text		30		# [xawtv]
PortageInstalledVersion		text		20		#Current installed version. [3.86-r1]
PortageStableVersion		text		20		#Newest unmasked version (x86)
PortageTestingVersion		text		20		#Newest testing version (~x86)
PortagePackageHomepage	text		40
PortagePackageDescription	text		160

Some ideas for commands

portsearch -lg <PortageGroup> # If portage group is specified list all
						    # packages in that group else list everything.
						    # Allow partial matches.
portsearch -lp <PortagePackage>  # Return all packages which do a partial
							# match.  basically the same as
							# emerge -s
portsearch -ld	<phrase>  		# return all matchs in description.  emerge -S

These are just the basic ones, there are more but I think you get the general
idea.  I'm not sure if the dependancies should be in there as well as a list
of files belong to the package.
If we put package dependancies in it package it would make it easy to remove
packages with all their dependants, which as far as I am aware, isn't handled
by portage yet.

tony
--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.