From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for June
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:14:29
1 On Friday 02 June 2006 00:16, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 21:44:39 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I would like the council to discuss GLEP 49 as has been discussed on
6 > > the list some weeks ago. It is about the package manager requirements.
7 >
8 > Isn't it customary for issues raised on the list to be addressed before
9 > a GLEP is submitted to the council?
10
11 Besides the fact that the GLEP is long (overengineered?) there is one main
12 point of disagreement. That point is the requirement of primary package
13 manager hosting. As shown by various council members, they also have their
14 disagreements.
15
16 It should not be that all points have to be resolved before the council can
17 take a look at a GLEP. Part of the job of the council is to make decisions,
18 not just to rubberstamp things. I believe that currently all things
19 concerning the GLEP have been discussed, so now it is time to get feedback
20 from the council. I did not request a decision now. I requested the council
21 to discuss the GLEP.
22
23 On another point, the overengineering. Writing a package manager requires a
24 big investment in time. The GLEP is detailed in various points to allow
25 package manager writers to know what they can expect in the future. This
26 gives them a hard target to work with. I agree with grant that the council
27 will let sanity prevail. I do however think that the decisions by the council
28 at such a time could lead to disappointments on the part of people who have
29 written a replacement package manager that is not accepted. In general the
30 document is intended as a guideline for package manager writers that
31 describes their place within gentoo.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze