From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default DOCS for einstalldocs and HACKING file
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 23:20:07
1 On 07/06/16 23:50, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > From what I've seen, HACKING is a fairly common doc in FOSS projects.
3 > It doesn't seem to have been included in the default DOCS for
4 > einstalldocs in EAPI6. While going through the MATE packages, I noticed
5 > that we have quite a few packages that include HACKING in DOCS, so I
6 > cannot delete the DOCS array and take advantage of the automagic doc
7 > detection feature of einstalldocs.
8 >
9 > Does anyone know why we omitted this file from the default DOCS? A
10 > quick grep of the main repo shows ~370 ebuilds with HACKING listed. Is
11 > this file no longer considered worthy of being included by default in
12 > our installed docs? If so, looking for advice on whether it is worth
13 > keeping or dropping that file from my packages?
14 >
15 I made the suggestion a while back in IRC that it would be nice if there
16 was a way to append to the DOCS array in an ebuild, rather than have to
17 override it, and remember the standard list every time, or just lose the
18 extra file(s). Unfortunately I was laughed out of the channel. So,
19 whilst it would probably be something for another EAPI change .. what do
20 readers think of the idea of an EXTRA_DOCS variable or similar method
21 for doing this, for exactly this reason/purpose??
22
23 MJE