From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: mulltiib cruft: /emul
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:53:57
1 On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:26:10 -0500
2 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
8 > > Olivier Crete wrote:
9 > >> It was chosen by brad_mssw to match the way it is done on ia64.
10 > >> And I think we should continue to put the binary
11 > >> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* in /emul/ and that lib32 should be
12 > >> reserved for properly installed packages using portage whenever we
13 > >> manage to get portage to support it.
14 > >
15 > > It makes sense that you wouldn't want these binary packages going
16 > > into /lib32 or /usr/lib32, but /emul seems like an odd choice
17 > > compared to something like /opt/lib32.
18
19 I though exactly this when I saw SpanKY's query. Having a directory in
20 '/' is not pretty.
21
22 > IIRC, /emul predates FHS acceptance. also, while they are "binary"
23 > packages, they arn't in the same catagory as binary-only packages. We
24 > distribute them to assist multilib and to overcome problems that
25 > portage wasn't really designed for.
26
27 More generally we have varying approaches to pre-built packages;
28 app-office/openoffice-bin installs to /usr for example, while
29 mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin and www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
30 install to /opt.
31
32 In these cases, where they are installed on the same target
33 architecture as they were built, I think it makes sense to have them
34 install as if they were built with 'emerge -B' for installation via
35 'emerge -K' - i.e. in /usr rather than /opt.
36
37 x86-built binary packages for x86_64 are not the same, of course. One
38 idea that springs to mind immediately is to put them in a
39 {bin,include,lib...} hierarchy under /usr/<ctarget> (which is also
40 where the compiler stuff for <ctarget> ends up). Conceptually at least
41 (although no doubt problematic in practice) on x86_64 one could use a
42 x86(_32) cross-compiler to build stuff to ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET}. Again
43 in concept a /${CTARGET}/{bin,include,lib...} would exists for
44 essential boot stuff, althought that's a bit academic.
45
46 Just a thought for the pot ;)
49 Kevin F. Quinn