From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do I really need the tree?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:56:41
1 On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 08:46, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > In the meantime however please note that it is possible to exclude
3 > certain categories from the rsync (like games). That would be able to
4 > safe some space/time.
5
6 Why does everyone always say "like games" anyway? Games are essential,
7 man. KDE and Gnome are cruft... ;p
8
9 Honestly, if you're worried about the portage tree, stop updating it so
10 much. There's really no need to be vigilant in portage updates. This
11 will become even more true in the future with the security only
12 updates. One other feature I would like to see is the ability to rsync
13 only certain parts of the tree, similar to how cvs works. I should be
14 able to be in my $PORTDIR/games-fps and do an "emerge dirsync" (or
15 whatever) and have it sync just that directory. I think it would save
16 the load on the servers if people are looking for specific updates to
17 specific packages.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Developer, Gentoo Linux
22 Games Team