From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl-5.8 and "default-1.0" profile
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:21:45
1 I cannot speak as to why it was released for default-1.0 at this time (I actually don't know), but I can address your concerns. Perl-5.8 is stable and has been for some time; it has been a part of the 1.4 profile since Dec/Jan. I'd advise that when you finish the perl upgrade, you try out the libperl-rebuilder script located in dev-lang/perl/files/ (it's mentioned in the einfo at the end of the perl upgrade, but is often missed during a batch upgrade). libperl-rebuilder *attempts* to address the upgrade by re-building anything that was compiled against your old libperl.so (the new libperl.so is incompatible with the 5.6.1 version). It also attempts 3 times to re-emerge your perl modules. Why 3 times? Well, there doesn't exist yet in portage the ability to simple re-emerge anything affected by an upgrade. The three times is an attempt to get at all of the perl modules that you have installed that relied on the old libperl.a/so - three times being a safe number of sub-dependencies that should catch almost everything. That is, after the third sweep, there shouldn't be anything left that depends on anything that hasn't been re-emerged yet. libperl-rebuilder isn't perfect, as we've seen via bugzilla, but for most it does a fair job. As always, please post problems to bugs.gentoo.org care of perl@g.o where rac and I watch for problems. Thanks and I hope this helps,
2
3 Mike
8 | http://www.gentoo.org/
9 | #gentoo-dev on irc.freenode.net
10 Gentoo Dev | #gentoo-perl on irc.freenode.net
11 Perl Guy |
12 | GnuPG Key ID: AB5CED4E9E7F4E2E
17 On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:13:19 +0200