From: Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:25:50
1 On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 8:51 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I would like to propose that we switch the default udev provider on new
6 > systems from eudev to udev.
7 >
8 > This is not a lastrites, and it will not affect current systems since
9 > they have to migrate manually. Also, this change can be overridden at
10 > the profile level if some profile needs eudev (the last time I checked,
11 > this applies to non-glibc configurations).
12 >
13 > What do people think?
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 >
17 > William
20 I had the opposite problem, udev failed to work with newer
21 udev-init-scripts so all my systems were migrated to eudev. Looking at the
22 bug report (https://bugs.gentoo.org/681586), some of the others had the
23 same experience.
24
25 It was a drop-in replacement for me, personally I don't care if I have udev
26 or eudev installed (if it works).
27
28 Tomas