From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] keep a gen 2013 snapshot on mirrors
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:20:17
1 Am Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:12:24 -0500
2 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3
4 > On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Francesco R. <vivo75@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > long story short
8 > > having a portage-20130126.tar.bz2 snapshot (before the EAPI 5
9 > > switch) greatly simplified the upgrade of an old server on a client.
10 > >
11 > > Why not keep a copy on the servers? I mean
12 > > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/
15 > Going back in time with portage is the easy part - it is in CVS.
16 >
17 > The real problem is all the distfiles themselves, especially things
18 > like out-of-tree patch tarballs hosted by devs.
19
20 IMHO not even the worst problems as long as devs stop removing files
21 they consider as "deprecated" or "old". I keep everything in my
22 dev-space I ever put in an ebuild that landed in our official portage
23 tree. Of course this only works as long as you reference that place in
24 the affected ebuilds. Once you go the route to use mirror://gentoo in
25 ebuilds as SRC_URI people are screwed as soon as the ebuild vanishes
26 from portage.
27 I'd love to see this (mis-)behavior being more vigorously discouraged
28 in Gentoo-land...
29
30 Cheers
31 --