From: Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] HEADS UP: Twitching to un-arch-mask Apache2
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:45:44
Hi Devs,

  The time has come (slightly overdue) to make Apache2 the default
version on Gentoo.  Because it is still ~arch masked, you only
get it "by default" if you run the "unstable" flavour around here.

  I'm sure most of you know that distros like RedHat and Mandrake
(plus undoubtedly several others) give you this version by default,
and provide Apache1 packages for those who still want it.

  On Gentoo Apache1 and Apache2 install to separate SLOTS, so you
may have both installed at the same time.  If you configure your
webserver accordingly (we dont do _everything_ for you ;-)) you
may run both at the same time, affording you the opportunity to
migrate your server, and not simply cut-over.

  In a perfect world there'd be no issues at all, and this email
wouldnt be required.  Having said that, I encourage you all to
install Apache2, migrate your configuration and leave Apache1
behind.  Basically this is your opportunity to provide feedback,
an advanced warning, as it were.

  Help us to understand where we are and where we're going with
this.  We're a little behind on this upgrade, so let's get moving.

              Donny.