From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: epause instead of sleep in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:46:46
1 On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:40:40 +0200 Karl Trygve Kalleberg
2 <karltk@g.o> wrote:
3 | On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:21:44PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 |
5 | > Thoughts? I'd be happy to do all the work :)
6 |
7 | Sounds like a terrific idea.
8 |
9 | One off-hand question, though: Are any of the sleeps here for
10 | synchronization purposes, or are they all for actually displaying some
11 | information in a timely fashion?
12
13 A quick glance suggests they're all for making sure an einfo/ewarn gets
14 read. I really can't think of a legitimate reason for using sleep to
15 sync something -- a sleep 1 might be fine to fix some really strange bug
16 on an amd64 box, for example, but it probably wouldn't be on an old sun
17 IPX...
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm