From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:06:44
1 28.2.2006, 17:35:32, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:11:58 +0100 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > | Ok, sorry for being dumb :-)
6 > | What exactly is the issue there? I don't see the issue in setting SLOT
7 > | depending on ... uhm ... some variable. Looks kinda logical at first
8 > | glance, but I'm not aware of the issues it causes.
9
10 > PVR includes the revision of an ebuild. This means that if a revbump is
11 > made on a webapp package to fix a critical flaw, users will still have
12 > the old broken package installed too. This is especially relevant for
13 > security issues, but also applies to other kinds of fix.
14
15 Not including the revision into the SLOT can break the apps by removing the
16 needed files from a live site... I still can't see any *QA* violation there.
17
18 > Ebuilds can't override this either. Read on in the eclass and you'll
19 > notice that it checks that SLOT hasn't been changed to something sane.
20
21 Yeah, it checks for that since that's the way the eclass is designed. You
22 can't declare a slot in a kernel ebuild either.
23
24 Well, starts to be boring - so, either come with something valid from QA
25 standpoint or stop now.
29 jakub