From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2005.1 profile gives devfs as virtual
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:12:39
1 050905 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > virtual/editor is a terrible case. :/
3 > it's possible that unmerging slotted packages of the one key
4 > may break your system. How's about not warning
5 > if there's more than one installed cat/pkg (rather than cat/pkg-ver)
6 > satisfying the profile atom that is being triggered?
7 -- patch snipped --
8
9 I'ld say that the behaviour should be left alone
10 pending a larger rewrite of Portage's handling of this kind of thing.
11 Meanwhile, simply amend the warning to read in red letters eg
12
13 "WARNING : removing this package may break your system !!
14 Have you checked that you have a proper alternative installed ??
15 If you are not certain what you are doing, please STOP NOW !!
16
17 Do you want to proceed (NO/yes) ? "
18
19 Answering 'yes' would start the usual countdown (i have 10 sec );
20 any other answer would cancel the unmerge.
21
22 That has the virtue of giving the user accurate information
23 & leaving the final choice -- Gentoo-style -- upto him/her.
24
25 Oh & while we're on the subject, why is Joe a virtual, but not E3 ... ?
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list