From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:57:41
1 Please dont suggest splitting make.conf - its a crap idea and we'll end
2 up with a mess like like conf.d (where it is justified, but its still a
3 mess - and an ongoing pain). You get files changing, adds and deletions
4 that happen and you are not aware of the changes.
5
6 For instance, how many people missed the addition of hdparm to conf.d?
7 There have been a number of disastrous events where wholesale changes
8 have occurred when they were not intended: modules.autoconf was
9 particularly bad (I ended up with 3 dead systems), as was the symlink to
10 the php config file from mod_php and php proper. At least if you have
11 one file, you only have one place to look. Plus it makes sense to keep
12 all related information on one file, not piecemeal.
13
14 What this will mean, is that after every emerge problem, you will have
15 to find and check dozens of files, not one core file.
16
17 And think of the newbie, gentoo is becoming very complex to understand.
18
19 Another point is I run 3 make.conf's on a laptop, and load the one
20 applicable to the site I am at automatically (actually sed the file). I
21 would have to parse a number of files instead of just one.
22
23 I think perhaps make.conf would be better named emerge.environment or
24 gentoo.environment to underscore its function and importance!
25
26 BillK
27