From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Enable FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified by default?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:17:16
On 2012-05-16 12:56 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> Generally, several PMS (I think apt does it as well) make this assumption: > if config file C owned by package P has never been modified, meaning > that md5 or whatever is the same, the old C of P was fine, so is the > new C.
Yep, and I always thought that Gentoo way of dealing with config files was much better -both compared to .deb and .rpm land- in this regard. Presenting the diff is a quick and efficient way to highlight the changes and ask the sysadmin to make the necessary changes if any. I am not bothered with the (frequency of?) diffs but I guess people are.
> This also helps a lot in the scenario where critical configuration > files are not updated before reboot, which might result in an > unbootable system (ouch!).
Well, that is true. If you forget to dispatch-conf, it might bite you. Anyway, no big deal either way though I prefer the status quo. If we make the change, make it with enough fanfare that users notice. -- Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>