From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] the graveyard overlay
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 15:21:28
1 I'm starting a new thread so this will be a completely separate
2 discussion.
3
4 On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 05:56:04PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:42:14 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > > On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > Also there's some debate in IRC about whether or not these packages
9 > > > should be lastrited or dropped to maintainer-needed. These forks are
10 > > > not in good shape upstream, so I think it makes better sense to
11 > > > p.mask/lastrite and then move them to the graveyard overlay when I
12 > > > remove them from the tree in 30 days.
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > IMO the criteria should be whether they work or not. Not whether
16 > > upstream is more or less active.
17 > >
18 > > If they're blockers on other work, by all means cull them. However,
19 > > if the biggest problem with them is that they're using a few inodes in
20 > > the repo, then they should probably stay.
21 >
22 > +1
23 >
24 > Best regards,
25 > Andrew Savchenko
26
27 There is also an overlay for packages that are removed from the official
28 tree [1], and imo that is where old software should go if it doesn't
29 have an active maintainer.
30
31 I don't know why we haven't been using this, but using it more than we
32 have makes a lot of sense.
33
34 William
35