From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:12:03
1 > On GNU/Linux, I understand it to be gcc, glibc & linux but beyond that the
2 > line is a bit fuzzy. In fact, glibc is licensed under the LGPL so I'm not
3 > even sure if that should be included in what makes up a GNU/Linux's base
4 > system. I can't see anything when flicking through the FAQ's TOC, but I'll
5 > read through that later and probably find the answer there.
6
7 If I understand GNU correct the X Windows System is part of the base
8 system...
11 "To begin with, GNU will be a kernel plus all the utilities needed to
12 write and run C programs: editor, shell, C compiler, linker,
13 assembler, and a few other things. After this we will add a text
14 formatter, a YACC, an Empire game, a spreadsheet, and hundreds of
15 other things. We hope to supply, eventually, everything useful that
16 normally comes with a Unix system, and anything else useful, including
17 on-line and hardcopy documentation." - Richard Stallman
18 (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html)
21 "GNU software and the GNU system
22 Developing a whole system is a very large project. To bring it into
23 reach, I decided to adapt and use existing pieces of free software
24 wherever that was possible. For example, I decided at the very beginning
25 to use TeX as the principal text formatter; a few years later, I decided
26 to use the X Window System rather than writing another window system for
27 GNU.
28
29 Because of this decision, the GNU system is not the same as the
30 collection of all GNU software. The GNU system includes programs that
31 are not GNU software, programs that were developed by other people and
32 projects for their own purposes, but which we can use because they are
33 free software." - Richard Stallman
34 (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html)