From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:13:24
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 11/18/2015 01:54 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
5 > On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Alexander Berntsen
6 > <bernalex@g.o <mailto:bernalex@g.o>> wrote:
7 >
8 > On 18/11/15 08:25, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
9 >> - If you mix stable and unstable then you are by definition an
10 >> advanced user, who will be able to cope with the situation. :)
11 > This attitude is shitty, and I am willing to wager a really big
12 > bunch of users fall into this category.
15 >> I second the motion.
16 >
17 >> I can vouch for myself as such a user who often uses unstable
18 >> packages to get new features or dodge bugs in the stable
19 >> versions.
20 >
21 >> As a general default, though, I stick with stable packages.
22 >
23 >> Taking an occasional unstable package in an otherwise stable
24 >> system (and obeying any revbump directives provoked by
25 >> dependencies) is a legal operation that is actually supported by
26 >> commit rules that prohibit stable versions from depending on
27 >> unstable versions of dependencies.
28 >
29 >> Why would that policy exist if mixing stable and unstable were
30 >> unsupported?
33 Mixing keywords is generally unsupported because of the sheer amount
34 of testing and possible combinations there are. In many cases, you can
35 get away with it and it's easy enough to debug, but if you end up in
36 package.use hell and/or have a bunch of blockers, you're kinda on your
37 own.
38
39 The policy exists to prevent developers from causing users to fall
40 into the trap of mixing keywords. Stable packages depending on testing
41 packages means they'll have to add entries to package.accept_keywords,
42 which can greatly complicate maintenance of a Gentoo system. Someone
43 willing to do that work *is* advanced, even if it's only a few
44 packages. "Advanced" doesn't have to mean "can build an LFS system in
45 an evening". :)
46
47 In the case of this recent change, worst case scenario you'll need to
48 add portage to your p.accept_keywords until it's stable. If you want
49 to simplify things, choose arch or ~arch without mixing.
50
51 In the Gentoo spirit, though, users are free to do with their systems
52 whatever they want; mixing keywords is one of the cases where you get
53 to keep the pieces, however.
54
55 > I don't think EAPI 6 is *that* shiny, that we need to start using
56 > it prior to stable Portage supporting it. It's a potential mess for
57 > a huge portion of our users.
60 > That said, I'd like to extend my thanks to Micha? for working on
61 > this.
65 - --
66 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
67 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
68 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6