From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: mgorny@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] markdown docs like README.md
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:35:20
1 On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:57:26 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2013-09-25, o godz. 00:30:27
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:07:15 +0200
8 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > Why do I need a browser, a PDF reader and a Markdown viewer and
11 > > possibly more clients to read my documentation in a formatted way?
12 >
13 > And why do I need a special HTML-formatting tool (which is much more
14 > expensive) to read documentation in any way? Or rather, to drop all
15 > the useless formatting.
16
17 Who says you need to?
18
19 We're not suggesting completely replacing what we currently have as far
20 as I am aware of; so, if you don't want to see a change in what is
21 installed for you, you'll be able to keep it that way under what is
22 being suggested in this thread. Choice implies that you can keep things
23 the way they have been.
24
25 > > > As far as I can see it, we're either talking about:
26 > > >
27 > > > 1) replacing semi-readable Markdown with unreadable HTML that will
28 > > > require special tools for proper display,
29 > >
30 > > Just some basic CSS will do just fine.
31 >
32 > And how does that help with 'cat' output? Or vim? Or many other
33 > standard *console* tools Gentoo users use.
34 >
35 > > > 2) installing duplicate files (the same data in markdown and in
36 > > > HTML),
37 > >
38 > > This hasn't been discussed yet; but it doesn't need to, it's the
39 > > usual INSTALL_MASK story.
40 >
41 > And how does this distinguish between HTML cruft converted from
42 > Markdown and HTML-only docs?
43
44 You just choose to not use a converter. No problem here.
45
46 > > > 3) adding some more ugly awful magic that will make binary
47 > > > packages even less useful.
48 > >
49 > > For binary packages a choice has to be made; trying to solve things
50 > > for binary packages is like discussing something to be implemented
51 > > on a binary distro, you simply can't bring the usefulness we are
52 > > discussing here to a binary package because of its nature.
53 >
54 > Which is not reason to make it even worse.
55
56 Neither is it a reason to stop progress.
57
58 Looking at the mailing list history, I could use this binary package
59 argument on many threads. People that want binary packages should live
60 with a default under the current implementation; as for a possible
61 future implementation, that could possibly have split up tarballs so we
62 can selectively install parts of the binary package such that this would
63 not be a problem at all. Discussing binary packages here is off-topic.
64
65 > > > That said, I'd rather see people using *tools* to display Markdown
66 > > > rather than converting everything 90s-style.
67 > >
68 > > I'd rather have a single tool that displays documentation and
69 > > display it really well; people are still converting things these
70 > > days, they will continue to do so in the future. Some things aren't
71 > > compatible.
72 >
73 > It's called 'less'. Open a bug against it, ask our devs to include
74 > a formatter in 'lesspipe'. Tadaam!
75
76 Exactly, now this thread wants to make alternatives to that possible;
77 just because one tool exists doesn't mean everyone wants to use it,
78 there is no one size fits all solution. That's where choice comes from.
81 With kind regards,
82
83 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
84 Gentoo Developer
85
86 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
87 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
88 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D