From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea about signing ebuilds
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 18:52:28
1 Hi,
2
3 --On Donnerstag, Juni 06, 2002 16:41:03 -0400 Frank Tobin
4 <ftobin@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Alexander Holler wrote:
7 >
8 >> what do you think about signing the ebuilds and digests with gpg?
9 >
10 > Since there are multiple ebuild-providers (in contrast to a single one,
11 > ala official RedHat RPMs), you would need to develop a PKI. Once you say
12
13 I didn't want to know that the ebuild builder is the correct one, I just
14 want that the main server (gentoo.org) signs the ebuilds with his key. So
15 only one key is needed.
16
17 > PKI, things get complicated quickly, and I do no think that the complexity
18 > required satisfies a current need. Simple digests as they are currently
19 > done is much better, IMO.
20
21 If I want to fake a packet on one of the mirrors I just have to build a new
22 packet (e.g. with a trojan), change the uri in the ebuild and build new
23 digests (which anyone could do).
24
25 In the other case, the blackhat has to get the key from the main-server to
26 change packets.
27 Or he needs to build and checkin a new packet, which I think would be
28 discovered relatively quick (in contrast to a silent take over of on of the
29 mirrors).