From: Charles Kerr <charles@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDEDIR
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:18:39
1 On Wednesday 02 January 2002 09:00 am, you wrote:
2
3 > Well, this suggestion was raised before but we decded against it. For one
4 > thing, you'd still have to juggle paths the way you do now. In any case it
5 > was decided that providing support for one version of any app (and multiple
6 > kdes) is enough.
7
8 Not sure I understand the juggling of paths, a symlink change of kde and qt
9 would suffice.
13 > Are they being modified now? Not as far as I know, just being set in
14 > /etc/env.d. The only "dynamic" modification going on is in startkde (PATH)
15 > and I may get rid of that as well.
16
17 No, they are not. Was speculating past if multiple KDE's where supported.
21 > Well, one thing I can tell you right now is this: the generic Gentoo KDE
22 > setup does not, and will not, include support for mutiple KDEs. If you want
23 > to run multiple KDEs yourself, expect the Portage-installed KDE to make
24 > trouble. For one thing, since it lives in /usr, it has an unpleasant
25 > tendency to get into the beginning of your PATH, before any other KDE.
26
27 Yea, I understood the /usr issue of being first in the PATH *smile*. that is
28 why the question!
32 > I will try to provide a more satisfcatory solution, but the Gentoo KDE will
33 > still come first in my priorities. So if you want to have multiple KDEs on
34 > a permanent basis (what for? testing?), you might consider not installing a
35 > KDE from portage at all. That way all you KDEs would be on an equal
36 > footing, but you'd lose all the nice things we put into the KDE ebuilds.
37
38 Main reason I want multiple,is for KDE development. If you have a KDE app,
39 you need to start migrating it to the next KDE. However, one must still
40 maintain it on the "old" kde for some time. Would have thought that would
41 have been a fairly common situation. Perhaps it isn't. Understand that
42 Gentoo KDE would be your priority. And if it is set, wasnt' my intent to
43 change just for me (again, I would have thought any who do KDE app
44 development would need something like that)
45 Yea, I was figuring it would probably come down to removing the Gentoo KDE
46 and just doing it manually. Can you give an example of what "nice thing" is
47 put into the KDE ebuilds (always want to know what I am losing *smile*)?
48
49 Anyway, appreciate the answer!