From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing elasticsearch maintainer
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 13:11:05
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 18:38 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Bonus mention: > bbdc5412061adf598ed935697441a7d6b05f7614 > app-admin/logstash-bin: drop old > > Signed-off-by: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> > > That removed the versions I was using, so I better maintain the versions > I use in an overlay. Well ok then. >
I'm sorry that the situation turned out badly for you. However, I would like to point out that problems like this are rarely unilateral, and usually involve issues on both ends. I'd like to ask you a very simple question: what did you do to ensure that the versions you are using are not accidentally removed? I could have a few ideas, such as: a. slotting the package to indicate that multiple versions might be meaningful, b. opening a bug requesting the old version to be kept, c. leaving a comment in the ebuild (unlikely to help but still), d. just mailing proxy-maint@ to let us know of the issue. However, as far as I'm aware none of this happened. Note that I might have missed the mail, or it might have been sent before I joined -- correct me if that is the case. As Alec pointed out, it is a normal procedure in Gentoo to remove old versions of software if there is no explicit indication that they need to be kept. Therefore, I don't see anything wrong with the proxied maintainer wishing to clean the old versions up and/or not requesting your explicit permission for that. If you needed the old versions, you should have made that clear. I should also point out that the steps you've taken (and listed in this mail) are not really relevant. They make you look like a sloppy maintainer, and a bad Gentoo developer at the best -- and I doubt anyone would connect removing proxy-maint team with a necessity of keeping an old version. -- Best regards, Michał Górny