From: Michael Tindal <mtindal@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www Being Retired
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:08:03
1 On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 17:02 -0700, Jason Rhinelander wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > You'd only get that message if you typed 'emerge mod_perl'. If you typed
4 > > 'emerge www-apache1/mod_perl', then you wouldn't get the message.
5 >
6 > True, but how many people "emerge cat/package" vs. just "emerge package"?
7
8 Going off of the mod_perl example, if a user types "emerge mod_perl",
9 portage tells them its ambiguous, then they have to retype "emerge www-
10 apache1/mod_perl", thats more time they have to spend to install the
11 package. The more productivity we can give the better, we shouldn't
12 take the easy route out just because it saves us some work. Personally
13 I'm in favor of something like apache/apache2 USE flags.
14
15 Mike Tindal