From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/Java staffing needs
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:52:03
1 Hey folks,
2
3 As has been the case for some time, the Java team is still atrociously
4 understaffed. Below, I'll outline a few 'positions' I'd like see filled.
5 I'm using the term really loosely, and mean it more as in the sense of
6 'these are things I'd like people to be working on'. If current devs are
7 interested, that'd be great, but we're also willing to mentor some fresh
8 blood.
11 * Java generalists
12
13 We have tons of Java packages. It was around 400 or so last time I
14 checked. As one can imagine, this kind of number
15 generates a pretty constant stream of bugs and version bump requests.
16
17 So, basically I'm looking for some people to help out with general
18 maintence of our packages. I'd expect them to be familiar with Gentoo
19 and Java (surprise!). If they are not already, they will need to become
20 familiar with the ins and outs of how Java is handled on Gentoo.
21 Familiarity with ant, which is used for a large majority of our
22 packages, would be very useful.
23
24 * JBoss maintainer
25
26 JBoss is a pretty important app in the enterprise world of Java. It has
27 been pretty unmaintained for some time now, and could use some love.
28 Because of the nature of this beast, I would want someone that uses
29 JBoss on a daily basis, preferably in an enterprise setting, to be the
30 type of person to maintain this.
31
32 * Jetty maintainer
33
34 Jetty is a web container, like tomcat and resin. It also has been pretty
35 unmaintained in recent times. Preferably, the person who picks this
36 fella up uses jetty on a daily basis in an enterprise type setting.
37
38 * Maven maintainer
39
40 Currently, our package for maven is a binary package, and we don't
41 support using maven from an ebuild. Ideally, we would be able to package
42 it from source, and would support building packages with it. There
43 however, are quite a few barriers to this. I outline them in detail in
44 one of my blog posts, under 2a and 2b:
45
46 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nichoj/2006/05/04/java_ideas_for_summer_of_code
47
48 * Free Java Hackers
49
50 One of illustrious users has been working on working away at getting GCJ
51 usable as a JDK, in the sense that it can be to build our packages. We
52 do have a handful of other free Java VMs in portage, like kaffe,
53 sablevm, jamvm, etc. If people were interested, I think it'd be great if
54 we could get our packages building using these other VMs.
55
56 * Eclipse / Netbeans maintainers
57
58 Eclipse and Netbeans are the primary IDEs for Java. Eclipse is well kept
59 for the moment, but the plugins haven't been. Netbeans needs a bit of
60 love though, as it hasn't been updated in awhile.
63 So, if one or more of these sounds intersting and like something you'd
64 want to do? For starters, you should take a gander over at our project
65 page, and checkout various documentation we have:
66 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/
67
68 Other things you can do:
69
70 * Join our mailing list, gentoo-java. It is pretty low-traffic.
71 Information about joining lists is at:
72 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
73
74 * Lurk in our IRC channel, #gentoo-java on irc.freenode.net. It's also
75 fairly low-traffic, so don't expect immediate responses.
78 Hope to hear from some peeps :-D
79 --
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list