From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:19:06
1 Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o> posted 46103599.9050408@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 01 Apr 2007 23:43:37 +0100:
3
4 Snipped a lot of well stated opinion...
5
6 > So now the question is, are we willing to accept the cons for the pros,
7 > or do we need to find a different solution. If not, then other package
8 > managers should invest their time in ratifying a specification quickly,
9 > so that they can get down to coding to the specification. Also, those
10 > against a new manager, should get down to agreeing the specification so
11 > that managers with the possibility of fracturing are bound within a
12 > framework of acceptability. As I see it, that leaves both sides working
13 > towards the same direction, and should give impetus to both groups to
14 > come to a common point as fast as possible.
15
16 > If not, then probably we should return to the drawing board, but I
17 > concur that bickering and worrying about the future without pinpointing
18 > the problem and trying to tackle it, is far more futile than working
19 > towards a viable solution...
20
21 I think you said it better than I did. =8^)
22
23 Taking a bit of a bent, here... Of course, from the (amd64) user side,
24 the single missing feature I think of most often is missing full multi-
25 arch, not for me personally as I do source only, but there are a lot of
26 folks that would certainly not miss having to do the chroot thing to get
27 the full usual benefits of Gentoo -- the pre-compiled emul- packages are
28 nice and definitely serve a purpose, but just aren't the same. Do either
29 of the alternatives deal with that?
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list