From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Master plan for fixing elibtoolize
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:18:22
1 On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:14:12 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, everyone.
5 >
6 > Since the bug about libtool.eclass [1] has not received any
7 > attention, I hereby declare maintainer timeout and start working on
8 > improving the eclass.
9 >
10 > The main goals are to:
11 >
12 > a. stop requiring every single autoconf ebuild to call elibtoolize
13 > manually (and effectively having half-'broken' repository),
14 >
15 > b. stop bundling the large number of patches with the repository,
16 >
17 > c. stop using hacks to find those patches.
18 >
19 > The planned steps are to:
20 >
21 > 1. split epunt_cxx out of eutils:
22 >
23 > 1.1. split the function into new eclass (PATCH already sent),
24 >
25 > 1.2. explicitly inherit the new eclass in all ebuilds using epunt_cxx,
26 >
27 > 1.3. remove implicit inherit from eutils,
28 >
29 > 1.4. move patches to a package and make the new eclass DEPEND on it.
30 >
31 > 2. move patches to a package and make libtool.eclass DEPEND on it.
32 >
33 > 3. copy elibtoolize logic to Portage, and make it apply implicitly
34 > on econf [do we need to apply it elsewhere?]; disable explicit
35 > libtoolize when Portage supports that.
38 Define it in a new EAPI. Make elibtoolize die in EAPI supporting
39 auto-elibtoolize.