From: Martin Ehmsen <ehmsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:01:04
1 Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > Another thing that some people may not have considered - with many
3 > developers using various permutations of overlays, how can you
4 > guarantee that what is being checked into the main tree will build for
5 > a normal user? In order to test that, a developer would have to
6 > disable all overlays, unemerge everything provided by the overlays,
7 > and then build and test with a plain "non-overlay" gentoo. That's a
8 > lot of work; I doubt most developers are doing it.
9
10 You are wrong in my case.
11 I have a vanilla root, which used to be just a chroot, but now i'm
12 trying out vmware, where I test all the changes I make.
13
14 I think many other devs test in a similar manner (on another box,
15 chroot, ...).
16
17 /Ehmsen
18 --