From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:51:59
1 On 21/8/2005 23:05:05, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
2
3 > Now the proposal. This isn't something that can happen immediately, but
4 > it's something I'd like to see us working towards:
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >
8 > * De-cripple the standard xterm definition and remove restrictions from
9 > programs which can make full use of xterm's capabilities.
10
11 This bit, obviously, has to wait until at least the more common packages have
12 been adjusted for their own TERM value. In the interim, how about creating a
13 'xtermstd' entry with the de-crippled definition, and altering the (presumably
14 few) packages that supply fully-compatible xterms to use that, with a view to
15 changing them back to 'xterm' later once the rest of the world is in line.
16
17 I think it's also worth considering leaving the existing xterm entry crippled,
18 and just accept that abuse of it is too entrenched and widespread to fix.
19
20 > * Putty? Since I consider sshing from insecure systems irresponsible, I
21 > don't know much about this one, other than that it's another dirty
22 > liar and that said lying has caused various bugs in the past. Perhaps
23 > someone could clarify with details of what it pretends to support and
24 > what it really supports?
25
26 I use PuTTY when I have to use Windows; it's also available for Unix.
27
28 PuTTY has a configuration setting to set the terminal type string; by default
29 this is set to "xterm" but it's easy to change to something else. This is a per-session
30 configuration option (under Connection->Data for anyone interested), so it's easy
31 to set it to (say) "putty" for connections to some boxes and "xterm" for others.
32 Which means creating a "putty" terminfo definition would be workable.
33
34 BTW re. colours - PuTTY seems to do 256 colours the same as a standard
35 xterm, as far as I can tell. However that's comparing PuTTY 0.58beta with
36 xterm-1.96 built with Cygwin on Windows from xorg-6.8.1, so it may just be
37 they're deriving their colours from the same (Windows) palette. The only
38 difference is that the first colour block shows up as 'X' in the cygwin xterm,
39 but as a black block in PuTTY. The first 16 colours are black, red, green,
40 yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white (8 x dim then 8 x bright), followed by
41 a 6x6x6 colour cube with black at #16, green at #46, blue at #21, red at
42 #196 and white at #231), then a 24 step greyscale black -> white.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list