From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:32:16
1 On 21:33 Wed 28 Nov , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:14:05 -0800
3 > > What remains unclear about this principle?
4 >
5 > It's entirely nebulous and has nothing that can be discussed or agreed
6 > upon, beyond giving people a feel good "ooh, yes, we should do this"
7 > with no practical purpose. It has an unpleasant smell of something a
8 > Dilbert-esque manager would introduce after having read a "Project
9 > Management for Dummies" book full of slogans and generalities.
10 >
11 > So, if you want to take this somewhere useful:
12 >
13 > * Decide what the scope of a change is. Are we talking anything
14 > user-visible? Anything substantially user-visible? Anything requiring
15 > user action? Anything developer-visible? Anything requiring developer
16 > action? Anything visible to small numbers of developers working in a
17 > specific area?
18 >
19 > * Decide what the appropriate level of documentation is.
20 >
21 > * Discuss how you're going to get documentation of a sufficiently high
22 > quality. Most developers aren't going to go out and spend several months
23 > studying technical writing...
24 >
25 > * Decide whether it's worth putting the limited available writing
26 > resources into developer documentation that will only be read by a few
27 > hundred people, rather than putting more focus into user documentation
28 > that will be read by pretty much everyone.
29
30 I think that in most cases it is self-evident to the developer how much
31 documentation is useful, and if the community disagrees with that
32 developer, anyone else is welcome to say so. There are always a few
33 people out on the edge, but most people realize how much documentation
34 should exist. I don't see a benefit to all these precise specifications.
35
36 Thanks,
37 Donnie
38 --