From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:26:05
1 On 1/9/2005 20:54:14, Stephen P. Becker (geoman@g.o) wrote:
2 > > Is it just me, it seems that only sparc/mips devs want that kind of
3 > > change and non none of the x86/amd64 devs...
4 > >
5 > > I still dont see what practical advantage that would bring to x86/amd64
6 > > users or developers?
7 >
8 > If you haven't figured out the reason we are pushing for this sort of
9 > thing yet, it is because x86 is unsupported in Gentoo (if you consider
10 > what all the other arches have to do to be "supported"). As a result,
11 > it causes the quality of the portage tree to suffer. Time and time
12 > again, it has been brought up that x86 should have an arch team, yet
13 > nobody ever acts on it. Well, merging the "two" arches will help solve
14 > this problem.
15
16 Surely ths solution to that problem is to set up an x86 arch team, not to put such big a millstone around the neck of the amd64 team.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list