From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: default USE flags in profiles (oss)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:36:44
On Sunday 24 September 2006 03:21, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> How bout changing this flag to "aoss" and making it new default instead > of oss? mozilla-launcher already has an aoss flag.
A flag that I don't like at all, as it should have probably been "alsa", but it was difficult to implement without proper usable package.use.mask (will take time before we can actually use it). This because aoss doesn't enable ALSA's *oss emulation*, but uses media-libs/alsa-oss to provide an indirection layer that filters accesses to DSP devices to move the data to ALSA. A similar thing is done by esddsp, artsdsp, padsp.
Yes this is feasible, but for the time being I'd rather not have to receive in my sound@g.o folder two bugs a day about people wanting OSS emulation in alsa-driver. -- Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE